Liposuction is a plastic surgery procedure that removes unwanted fat from specific areas of the body. It is also called Lipoplasty or body contouring. Liposuction is not a weight-loss solution is more focused on body contouring and improving the shape and proportion of specific areas.
Liposuction can effectively address stubborn areas of fat that may be resistant to diet and exercise. It is commonly used to contour areas such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, arms, and neck. this article gives you an overview of what individuals can typically expect three weeks after undergoing a liposuction procedure.
Recovery timeline for liposuction
The Healing process after liposuction can vary from person to person. It’s important to follow your surgeon’s post-operative care instructions diligently. here is a general timeline regarding the liposuction recovery process:
Immediately after the procedure:
- Immediately after the surgery, You will rest in the recovery room for a few hours. The surgical team will check you for any symptoms like nausea and dizziness.
- You will need someone to take you home after surgery and stay with you for the first night.
- You can expect some fluid and blood to come out of the surgical incisions for a few days after surgery, but this is normal and nothing to worry about.
- You will have pain and swelling for the first forty-eight hours after surgery. The surgeon may prescribe medications to relieve your pain.
First week after liposuction:
- During this time, to reduce swelling and bruising after surgery, use a cold compress twice a day.
- Swelling and bruising typically peak about 3 to 5 days post-op then you will gradually see the inflammation decrease.
- You should have absolute rest for two days and keep the treatment area elevated if possible.
- You should be wearing a compression garment to reduce swelling and improve treatment results for six week.
- You should get up and walk every few hours to reduce swelling and prevent blood clots.
Two week after liposuction:
- Avoid direct sunlight or heat for at least six weeks to prevent inflammation.
- You can make your short walks longer, but you’re not ready for heavy exercise yet.
- You can return to your work and start some of your activities after the surgeon advise.
- You should avoid smoking and drinking alcohol because the healing process will be delayed.
- It is better to get up and walk every few hours. This helps reduce swelling and prevent blood clots.
- Seven to ten days after surgery, take only a short shower and be careful not to wet the surgical area.
- The level of discomfort and pain subsides in the second week, but swelling may persist until the sixth week.
Now get your free medical consultation
Three week after liposuction:
- Most of the swelling is gone during this period.
- You may notice improvements in your body contour.
- You may feel tingling and itching in your surgical sites
- Pay attention, you should avoid doing heavy sports for the first four weeks.
- After one week and in the second week, you should go to the doctor’s office to check the results.
Five week after liposuction:
- Your surgeon may allow you to do more physical exercises.
- During this period, you may no longer need to wear a compression garment.
- Most likely, one month after the liposuction surgery, you will no longer have pain.
- You should continue to watch your salt intake, follow a healthy diet and be hydrated.
Three months after liposuction:
- You may be able to engage in more intense physical activities
- Scars become thinner and less defined but may remain pink for up to one year
- You may start to notice significant improvements in your body shape and the fit of your clothes.
- Almost all the swelling is gone and you can clearly see the final results of the liposuction surgery.
Six months to 1 year:
- Six to nine months after surgery, when performing heavy activities or sports, we may see some inflammation return in the area.
- To protect the results you must follow a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a balanced diet.
- In most patients, the residual swelling disappears and the scars fade significantly up to 6 months after surgery.
Physical Activity after liposuction
Every individual’s recovery process is unique, so you should take care of your body and not put pressure on it while exercising. In the following, we will examine a number of recommended exercises that you can do after liposuction:
|Weeks 1-2||Immediately after surgery give yourself Prioritize rest and get plenty of sleep.|
Two days after surgery start with light activities, mainly walking.
|Weeks 2-3||Slowly build up the speed and length of walks. These walks are important because they help blood circulation|
Avoid intense exercise
If you feel pain or fatigue, do not push your body and finish the activity.
|Weeks 3-6||You can start moderate resistance activities such as slow jogging, cycling, and swimming.|
Still, avoid high-impact exercise
|After 6 Weeks||You can resume your resistance exercises. However, everyone heals at a different rate. If you feel pain or discomfort during exercise, slow down|
What to eat after liposuction?
Following the diet and nutrition after liposuction plays a crucial role in increasing the body’s metabolism and reducing blood fat levels. Therefore, to avoid excessive weight gain you should have a proper diet after the surgery. Here are some of the main foods that you should add to your diet after liposuction:
- Drinking water throughout the day is very effective for flushing out toxins, preventing infection, improving digestion, preventing scarring, and reducing swelling after abdominal cosmetic surgery.
- By drinking water your skin will adapt to the new contour sooner and better.
- After the surgery, it is better to drink 60 to 80 ml of water, if the body does not react to drinking water, you can use other liquids.
- Since you won’t be able to eat much food for weeks after liposuction, you’ll need to take supplements containing iron, magnesium, and zinc to compensate for nutritional deficiencies.
- Taking mineral supplements can also reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, increase collagen production, prevent blood clots from forming in the veins, and facilitate wound healing.
- Add more vitamins C, A, E, B12, and K to your post-liposuction diet for elastic skin, less scarring, and a healthier body. Taking vitamins after liposuction is so important that some surgeons require patients to take them intravenously or as daily supplements like other medications.
- Vitamin A is very effective for healing wounds after surgery.
- Vitamin C is very effective for collagen production and wound healing.
- Dark-colored vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, cabbage and oranges, grapefruit, liver, and milk are rich in vitamin A.
- Melons, citrus fruits, tomatoes, and berries are rich in vitamin C.
- Fruits such as oranges, apples, berries, kiwi, cantaloupe, and papaya are rich in vitamins C and A and should be consumed in the first week after surgery.
Use fiber-containing foods
- Adding fiber-rich foods to your diet is essential to regular bowel movements. To avoid constipation after liposuction surgery, it is very effective to use sources rich in fiber such as apples, pears, plums, legumes, oats, and whole grains.
- Beans and legumes, leafy greens, and fresh fruits like apples and bananas are rich in fiber and antioxidants. Therefore, they can improve your digestive function and help your body burn more fat.
- Proteins are one of the fundamental foods after surgery and play an essential role in healing wounds and rebuilding body tissues.
- The consumption of protein-rich foods such as eggs, low-fat dairy products, fish, lean ears, nuts, and whole grains is very effective in recovery after abdominal cosmetic surgery.
- Furthermore, healthy fats derived from avocados, nuts, and olive oil are instrumental in providing the body with energy and promoting overall lubrication and flexibility. These fats also contribute to the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, enhancing their effectiveness in the body.
Secure your appointment at International Clinics by booking now
Foods to avoid after liposuction
You should avoid eating foods that cause inflammation. Below are some foods to eat sparingly or not at all if you want the best liposuction outcome. Such as:
- raw dairy
- Spicy foods
- salad dressing
- Saturated and trans fats
- Fried foods and fast food
- Foods rich in sodium and sugar
- Soft drinks and carbonated water
- Refined grains such as pasta and rice
- Processed meats such as bacon and sausage
Scar treatment options after liposuction
None of these methods can remove a scar completely, but they can reduce the appearance of scarring and improve other outcomes. here are some scar healing techniques after liposuction:
1- Silicone Gel Sheets and Silicone Gel
Among the various scar treatment options available after liposuction, silicone gel sheets and silicone gel have gained recognition for their efficacy in minimizing the appearance of scars. These gels provide a protective barrier over the Scar, shielding it from external elements and minimizing the risk of infection.
These silicone-based treatments help to hydrate and moisturize the scar tissue, which is crucial for promoting softening and flattening of the Scar. Also have a soothing effect on the scar tissue, alleviating any potential discomfort or itching that may arise during the healing process.
2- Chemical Peels and Microdermabrasion
In some cases where the scar tissue is larger than usual, the doctor uses the peeling method to remove some outer layers of the scar tissue. Both chemical peels and microdermabrasion are popular scar treatment options utilized after liposuction.
Chemical peels involve the application of a chemical solution to the skin, which exfoliates the top layers. This process helps to diminish the appearance of scars by promoting the regeneration of new skin cells, revealing a smoother and more even complexion.
Microdermabrasion employs a gentle abrasive technique to exfoliate the skin’s outermost layer. By removing dead skin cells and stimulating collagen production, microdermabrasion can help reduce the visibility of scars and improve overall skin texture.
Cryotherapy is a treatment that applies extreme cold to freeze and destroy abnormal tissue and effectively reduces scar, swelling, redness, and inflammation by constricting blood vessels in the treated area.
The controlled freezing and thawing cycles of cryotherapy can enhance the skin’s elasticity and stimulate collagen production in the skin. Cryotherapy also has analgesic properties, providing pain relief to individuals during the treatment and post-treatment period.
4- Laser therapy
Laser therapy can effectively reduce the appearance of scars by targeting the pigment in the scar tissue. The laser energy is absorbed by the pigmented cells, breaking them down and promoting their gradual elimination. This process helps to fade the scar and make it less noticeable.
Different types of lasers, such as fractional lasers or pulsed-dye lasers, can be used depending on the scar type. Laser treatments are highly customizable and the intensity and depth of the laser energy can be adjusted based on individual needs and scar severity.
A medical team at the best international standards
Liposuction follow-up appointment
After undergoing liposuction, it’s common to have a follow-up appointment with your surgeon. This appointment is an important part of the post-operative care process and allows your surgeon to assess your healing progress and address any concerns or questions you may have. This follow-up appointment serves several important purposes:
- Evaluation of healing progress
- Removal of sutures or dressings
- Examine incision sites
- Discussion of proper wound care techniques
- Check and treatment of any complications after surgery
- Planning for activities and exercise
- Comparing results
If you want to choose liposuction surgery having an understanding of the recovery process and aftercare of liposuction is a great step in researching or preparing for the procedure.
Remember, everyone’s recovery journey is unique, and it’s important to talk to your surgeon about your goals and Post-operative expectations after surgery and get their guidance.
By following instructions and taking care of yourself after surgery, can optimize the healing process, minimize complications and achieve optimal results from your liposuction procedure.