Dental implants can replace missing teeth and restore your smile. The implant comes as an artificial tooth root made of titanium that is surgically inserted into the jawbone.
After the implant fuses with the bone, it acts as a sturdy anchor for an artificial replacement tooth. In this way, implants not only look and feel like natural teeth but also function like them as well. When properly cared for, dental implants can last a lifetime and lead to effective dental restoration.
A tooth implant surgery involves three main parts. First, there is the implant itself, which is embedded in the jawbone. Next, an abutment is attached to the implant which will hold the new tooth. Finally, the visible artificial tooth, known as the crown, is attached to the abutment.
The entire procedure requires surgery, but it’s generally safe and well-tested. The end result is a restoration of both the look and function of a real tooth.
if you are considering dental implants, Turkey can be an excellent choice. Turkey has become a major destination for medical tourism in general and dental implants in particular.
Most importantly, Turkey offers affordable, high-quality implant procedures. Dental services cost significantly less compared to other countries, due to favorable exchange rates.
Why Choose Dental Implants in Turkey?
Dental implants have been a popular option for replacing missing teeth over the past couple of decades and in almost all spots in the world. However, Turkey has occupied the leading position for dental tourism among all destinations.
With some diligence, patients can find top Turkish dentists who can effectively transform their smiles with beautiful, natural-looking, and long-lasting implant teeth. Reasons to consider getting dental implants in Turkey include:
The cost of dental implants and associated treatments is significantly lower in Turkey. On average, patients can save anywhere from 30% to 60% on implant procedures by getting them done in Turkey instead of their home country, especially if they come from Western countries.
Quality of Care
Turkey is where many skilled and experienced dental surgeons reside and work. In fact, Istanbul alone has over 3,000 specialized dentists. Like their European colleagues, Turkish dentists often get training overseas and adopt the latest technologies and techniques.
The quality of dental clinics, such as International Clinics, and their certifications ensure excellent care standards. Dental clinics in Turkey rely on robust infrastructure, newer technologies, modern equipment, and superior dental materials – the same kind widely used in the USA and Europe.
As dental clinics in Turkey welcome expert teams consisting of surgeons, prosthodontists, radiologists, and technicians, the whole process becomes more focused on reaching the goals of the patients and ensuring their comfort.
Understanding Dental Implants: Basics
Dental implants act as replacement tooth roots and provide a permanent foundation to attach prosthetic teeth. When teeth are lost or need to be removed, they leave behind a space in the jawbone. Of course, this can cause the jawbone to shrink over time without a tooth root to stimulate it. Here comes the value of dental implants.
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots usually made of titanium that are surgically placed into the jawbone. A prosthetic tooth is then attached to the implant after it fuses with the bone, creating an artificial tooth.
Essentially, the combination of the implant fused to the jawbone and the prosthetic tooth makes up what most people refer to as a “dental implant”. The procedure is, of course, different from the popular Hollywood Smile in Turkey.
These implants are the closest thing to mimicking natural teeth. They allow you to eat, smile, and function like you have your own healthy teeth again. However, patients need to have enough healthy bone in the jaw to support the implant.
In most cases, anyone healthy enough for routine dental procedures can get dental implants. Unlike traditional bridges or dentures, implants fuse securely into the jawbone for more comfort and stability.
For patients who can’t wear conventional tooth replacements properly, dental implants offer a terrific alternative to restore their smile.
Types of Dental Implants
There are two main types used to replace missing teeth:
These are the most commonly used types among dental clinics. As the name suggests, they are placed surgically within the jawbone itself. They are often used as artificial tooth roots made of titanium screws, cylinders, or blades that fuse into the jawbone through a process called “osseointegration”.
After this fusing occurs, prosthetic teeth are attached to the top portion of the implants that protrude above the gums. Ultimately, these implants provide a stable foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth. This makes them an excellent alternative to bridges, dentures, or partials that may not fit properly.
On the other hand, subperiosteal implants are less frequently used and placed on top of the jawbone under the gums rather than within it. They consist of a metal framework with posts that protrude through the gums to hold the bridgework or dentures in place.
These implants are typically recommended for those with inadequate bone height to allow for endosteal implant integration. They can also benefit those unable to wear conventional tooth replacements comfortably.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Compared to conventional tooth replacements- such as bridges- dental implants come with more advantages, especially when properly placed. Some of these benefits include:
- Easier eating: The implants work like natural teeth for chewing and without issues.
- Increased comfort: Implants become part of you and don’t cause pain or discomfort associated with removable dentures that don’t fit well.
- Improved appearance: Implants look and feel just like real teeth. They are designed to be permanent once integrated into the bone.
- Convenience: There’s no need to deal with the hassle of removing and cleaning dentures or using messy adhesive pastes to keep them in place.
- Better speech: Unlike loose-fitting dentures that can slip around and cause mumbling or slurring, implants allow you to speak clearly without worry.
- Improved self-esteem: By restoring your smile, implants can greatly boost your confidence and self-esteem.
Risks of Dental Implants
These implants are safe and effective in most cases, but like any other procedure, they still carry some potential risks. However, when done by an experienced oral surgeon, these risks are typically minimal. Some possible complications include:
- Allergic reaction: Titanium implant material causes very few allergies, but a reaction is possible in extremely rare cases.
- Sinus damage: The upper jaw has air-filled sinuses that can sometimes be punctured during implant placement.
- Nerve damage: Nerves run through the jawbone and could get injured, causing numbness or pain.
- Improper placement: If the implant is incorrectly aligned or unstable, it may fail or be rejected by the body.
- Infection: Bacteria can get inside the tooth or gums during surgery and cause an infection around the implant site.
Dental Implant Costs in Turkey
The lower dental implant cost in Turkey has made it a popular option for many dental tourists in recent years. After all things considered, the average cost of a single dental implant in Turkey ranges from 200 to 600 US dollars.
However, the costs involved can be complex. It’s important to understand the breakdown of the various costs associated with getting implants in Turkey. The procedure itself involves several components, including the implant post, abutment, and crown.
Additionally, factors like the clinic, specialist, type of implant, and number of implants needed impact the overall price. However, the total cost in Turkey remains much lower than in countries like the USA, where a single implant can cost 1500 to 3000 US dollars.
In the UK, people expect to pay 2500 to 5000 US dollars, while in Australia they may need to pay 2500 to 5500 US dollars per implant.
Nonetheless, the costs aren’t all the same across Turkey. Prices in major cities like Istanbul are generally higher than in smaller towns. The quality of materials and components also causes variances in costs between clinics.
After all considerations, Turkey provides affordable high-quality implants that can save patients thousands compared to other countries. The key is to carefully research clinics and the specifics of the treatment plan.
Choosing the Right Dental Implant Clinic
Choosing the right dental implant clinic is definitely the fundamental step that requires attention. After all, your dental implants will be with you for the rest of your life, so you need to take the time to find the right clinic.
There are many factors to consider to make sure you find a clinic that will provide excellent care.
- Expertise: Look for a clinic that specializes in dental implants and has at least one experienced dentist performing the procedures. An experienced implant dentist will have placed hundreds-if not thousands-of implants and understands how to achieve optimal results.
- Patient reviews and testimonials: Read reviews from other patients to get insight into the quality of care provided. Satisfied patients are usually happy to provide positive reviews.
- Advanced technology and techniques: Choose a clinic that uses newer devices or machines for digital imaging, surgical guides, and advanced bone grafting materials.
- Wide range of implants: The clinic should offer various implant brands, so the dentist can choose the right one for their patients. After all, there is no one single implant brand that is right for everyone.
- Other services: Look for a clinic that can provide implant surgery, tooth extraction, bone grafting, and crown placement all under one roof.
The Dental Implant Procedure: Step-by-Step Guide
Getting dental implants can be a lengthy process, but it’s a reliable solution for replacing missing teeth that look natural.
The steps below explain the typical implant journey, but you need to remember that timeframes and specific treatments vary based on each patient’s unique needs and goals.
- Firstly, you will meet with a dentist for an initial consultation to discuss your options. The dentist will take time to understand your objectives and recommend a customized treatment plan.
- Second, a clinical assessment is necessary to evaluate if you are a good candidate for implants or not. Your dentist will take x-rays of your mouth and make models of your existing teeth to inform the assessment.
- Third, once the treatment plan is finalized, the actual implant procedure starts to happen. Often, it’s performed under local anesthesia at your dentist’s office, keeping it relatively comfortable and painless.
- Fourth, the dentist will then make a small incision in your gum and drill a hole in the jawbone to insert the implant device itself. Stitches may be used to close the gum opening but are not always required.
- Fifth, you need to wait 4-8 months for the implant to fully integrate with the jawbone before fitting replacement teeth. This integration process creates a sturdy foundation for the new teeth.
- Finally, artificial teeth are attached to the implant posts to complete your smile. Meanwhile, your dentist will advise on proper aftercare to help maintain your implants. Following these instructions carefully is crucial for long-term success.
Comparative Dental Implant Costs in Different Turkish Cities
Although the cost is lower than other countries on the map, dental implant costs can vary quite a bit between different cities in Turkey. In this case, the main factors that impact the cost are the clinic’s overhead expenses, demand for services, and what is considered average for the area. Below is an overview of approximate dental implant costs in some of the most popular destinations in Turkey:
As the largest and most popular city in Turkey, Istanbul is home to many well-known dental clinics. However, the high demand also drives up prices here. Expect to pay around 250-800 US dollars for the procedure in this city.
This enchanting resort city draws travelers from all around the world for its beautiful beaches. The thriving tourism industry allows dentists to offer competitive rates, usually 400-700 US dollars per implant.
As the capital, Ankara attracts patients from other parts of Turkey looking for quality care. Costs are moderate, averaging 450-650 US dollars per implant. Unsurprisingly, many famous dentists are located in the capital: Ankara.
Izmir has a relatively low cost of living compared to other large cities in Turkey. This is reflected in the cost of medical and dental services. Here, you can get the implant for a cost between 350-600 US dollars on average.
Trabzon is a very beautiful city located along the Black Sea far from the major metro areas. It’s known for being one of the most affordable cities for dental work. Implants can cost as little as 300-500 US dollars on average.
Trends in Dental Implant Procedures
Dental implant procedures are very common and trendy in Turkey, and that explains why more and more patients traveling to the country for this particular procedure. Some of the trends shaping the scene of dental tourism in Turkey include:
Increased Demand for Full-Mouth Restorations
Patients used to get just one or two implants, but now, we see that more and more patients ask for full-mouth implant solutions involving 4, 6, or even 8 implants placed during one surgery. This allows for faster and cheaper treatment.
Accepting Complex cases
The number of complex cases (like advanced bone grafts and sinus lifts) is increasing inside most Turkish dental clinics, including International Clinics. Turkish dentists have extensive training and experience with procedures involving bones or tissues requiring augmentation before implants can be placed.
People used to plan longer visits of 7-10 days for implant procedures in Turkey. However, with the new developments in the field, patients can now have implants placed and return home with prosthetics in just 3-4 days only.
Dental Tourism Agencies
Agencies that specialize in coordinating every aspect of medical tourism help match patients with the right clinics for a better experience. They also arrange travel, accommodation, and even leisure activities.
Patient Experiences and Testimonials
Testimonials left by patients provide a source of information and insight for those who intend to get through the same procedure. Below are some of the testimonials of our patients (we only use their initials to keep their information private).
“Getting dental implants sounded kinda weird at first for me, but after speaking with my dentist made it easier. They gave me a set of teeth that feel and look cool and whiter. I can’t even tell the difference now between the implant and my other teeth. I came to Turkey for tourism only, but I ended up getting this implant. Weird.”
Patient J.R (37 years old male from the United States)
“Thanks to those who recommend me this clinic. Finally, I got the smile I long wanted with these dental implants. I was hesitant about them at first. The whole idea sounded a bit intense, but am I glad I took the leap. In Oslo, these procedures aren’t easy to get. I’ve got this confident grin that I’m not afraid to show off now.”
Patient P.E (41 years old male from Norway)
“Really really good thing to have. My dentist in Istanbul explained it to me. The implant was painless but I felt some discomfort. Now, I’ve got this implant that is really cool and useful. It’s sturdy and I don’t even think about it when I’m chowing down my favorite foods.”
Patient N.V (26 years old female from Russia)
Budgeting for Dental Implants: A Comprehensive Guide
Dental implants can be an expensive treatment for many people, especially for those who used to think that insurance could cover everything. With some planning and budgeting, however, the costs can be managed. Try to consider the following when budgeting for your procedure:
The Type of Implant
Dental implants come in many forms, from a single tooth replacement to full mouth restorations. Naturally, the more implants needed, the higher the costs. Nonetheless, discuss options with your dentist to choose the most ideal implant for your needs that fits within your budget.
Oftentimes, other supportive procedures are needed for dental implants, like bone grafts or sinus lifts. These can add extra costs to your initial plan. Hence, try to get an itemized, detailed treatment plan from your dentist outlining all projected procedures and fees.
Dental Insurance Coverage
Many dental insurance plans cover a portion of implant costs, but that’s not the case always. Review your policy to understand what is covered before budgeting.
If costs are expensive locally, you can seriously think about dental tourism, which involves travel to another country for lower-cost implants. Do research- first- to find reputable dentists.
FAQs about Dental Implants in Turkey
Turkey is known for its cheap yet advanced dental care and implants, which is a very desirable combination for those who are ready to board a plane and receive treatment abroad.
The cost of dental implants in Turkey ranges from 250-500 US dollars for a single implant.
The dental implant process often takes between 3-6 months, and that includes consultation, treatment planning, placement surgery, and healing time before putting the final crowns.
The best cities for dental implants in Turkey include Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya, and Izmir.
Most Turkish dentists who provide implants are well-trained and many have credentials from North America or Europe.
Most dental clinics in Turkey provide aftercare following implant procedures, either directly or through coordination with a local dentist in your home country.
Legal and Ethical Considerations
As dental tourism to Turkey increases, more international patients ask about the legal and ethical considerations that they should be aware of. There are several factors to weigh regarding this matter:
Regulation of Care
Turkey has national standards for training dentists and regulating dental clinics. However, oversight and enforcement vary between cities and local authorities. Do extensive research to choose reputable clinics that adhere to safety standards.
Patients have little legal recourse in Turkey if implants fail or problems are encountered. Most clinics have liability waivers protecting dentists. Nonetheless, utilizing clinics with international accreditation provides more accountability.
Language and cultural barriers may impact informed consent, where patients understand treatment plans and risks. Choosing a clinic with experience treating international patients helps ensure proper communication and transparency regarding procedures.
Ethical Patient Care
Most Turkish dentists have excellent training and ethical integrity. However, some clinics may cut corners or improperly diagnose patients to increase profits. You need to choose wisely to avoid any unwanted problems.
Post-Operative Care and Maintenance
Dental implants require proper care and maintenance after the procedure to ensure successful results in the long term. While recovery times vary, following your dentist’s post-op instructions remains important:
- Your dentist will likely prescribe pain medication, antibiotics, and antimicrobial mouthwash after surgery.
- Stick to soft foods for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery to avoid disturbing the implants.
- Cleaning around the implants is essential. Use soft-bristled toothbrushes and clean the abutments daily.
- Limit physical activity for at least 1-week after the procedure to reduce bleeding risks.
- Expect multiple follow-up appointments for suture removal, bone graft checks, impressions for crowns, and implant integration assessments.
While dental implants are designed to last for years, proper care and maintenance are required long-term to ensure their longevity.
- Schedule exams and professional cleanings every 6 months. This allows your dentist to monitor your implants and intervene early if any issues arise.
- Clean implant crowns, abutments, and surrounding areas daily. Use specialized tools like interdental brushes for optimal results.
- Be alert to any implant movements, pain or swelling that could indicate a problem.
- Avoid chewing hard foods like ice or biting nails which can break the implant crown or abutment.
Turkey is now a leading destination for those who seek dental implants due to the advanced care and significantly lower costs of 250-550 offered by Turkish clinics.
Turkish dentists are highly skilled with credentials from America and Europe. The implant process takes 4-6 months including consultations, surgery, and healing. Most clinics provide coordinated aftercare with your local dentist.
However, you must thoroughly research clinics for ethical standards before undergoing treatment. Following all post-op care instructions is also vital, including medications, oral hygiene, diet, and activity recommendations.
International Clinics is a provider of dental implants to international patients. We have provided treatment to thousands of happy patients from Asia, Europe, the United States, and other places. You can contact us directly to learn more about our offers and packages.